Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I am looking for a part time student job that can lead me to a becoming a marketing director in the future...?

what kind of job can I work now that I can work up in and possibly lead to something related. If I do marketing, I want to promote products and advertising.
I am looking for a part time student job that can lead me to a becoming a marketing director in the future...?
Hi there,





I think your best direction is retail. Retail positions offer a ground-up spectrum of experience, and you get to see your target marketing in buying mode.





Also, as a student you'll want something with flexible hours, which a retail job is perfect for. Managers are used to students needing to work around their school schedules.





The most important thing to consider is what kind of industry you'd like to work in. Certain companies (Starbucks, American Apparel) are known for being progressive and breaking new ground. Other companies (Wal-mart, grocery stores) are not. You'll probably want to work somewhere a little more cutting edge, as that will give you the experience you're probably looking for as a future marketing professional. Nobody ever wanted to get into marketing so they could sell plumbing parts or weed whackers.





Good luck in your marketing career!





Naomi Dunford


Itty Bitty Marketing
Reply:First of all, you must know what "Marketing" is and all its fields. Its not just about "advertising and promoting" like most people think. Its not about commercials on TV, or ads in the newspaper. Its about many things and the word marketing is just the umbrella of it all.





I am going to answer your question from two different points of view.





If you want to promote products, you should consider a job with Mary Kay or Avon. Flexible hours and perfect for students. If you want to go into advertising, you should consider working for a company that makes flyer's for local bars, nightclubs, etc...Jobs similar to the folks who hang paper junk at the end of concerts. Sounds like the stuff you want to do. Right?





My reality Check Answer.





If your looking for a glamorous job similar to the folks in "ugly Betty" than your out of luck. These jobs require serious skills, education and experience. What you want to do is get a job that gives you the foundation in the industry that you may one day get into. Want a job a Target Corp as a marketing director someday? Get a job at a Target store. Make the most out of it. Study peoples shopping habits, what products they want, which clothes sell, what difference a penny in a price makes, etc. You get me? Get an intership or a regular job where you want to someday work.





Last year I had a job with a television network that sells stuff on tv 24/7. I was at the bottom of the barrel when I started....when I left....I was working with the marketing department, product buyers, legal team, and product manufactures. I didnt get paid good and I was still at the bottom of the barrel, but what I learned outweights everything. I know that someday that experiece will help me later in life. Experience does not come in the form of a book....Remember that.





Good Luck





Business and Marketing Student.

No comments:

Post a Comment